2023 Question 1 Which of the following is not a requirement for a good metaphysical theory Factual adequacy
Biology 2023 PHIL 201 QUIZS 3
- Which of the following is not a requirement for a good metaphysical theory?
Acceptance by the majority of philosophers
- Which of the following statements are not true according to Hasker.
Some philosophers consider religion to be irrational
Religious authority is not a valid basis for philosophical assertions
If religious authority were a valid basis for philosophical assertions, philosophy no longer would be an independent discipline.
Religious philosophers should abandon their religious convictions when doing philosophy.
- If a theory is inconsistent that means everything asserted by the theory is wrong.
- One rule of thumb in doing metaphysics is the recognition that there are some beliefs that should never be challenged or questioned.
- A good metaphysical theory should be characterized by explanatory power.
- Concerning Max (who stole the hubcaps), Hasker claims that Max is morally responsible for stealing the hubcaps, but did not have freedom of choice in stealing the hubcaps.
- According to Hasker, determinism claims that people never make choices.
- For compatibilism a choice is considered free if the:
Agent is free to choose otherwise
Agent is acting on his desires
The choice is not ultimately based on prior causes
There is no proximate cause involved.
- According to Hasker, a misconception that some have of libertarianism:
God cannot be sovereign if man is free
Free will means that man can do absolutely anything he chooses
Free choices are random events
It is not compatible with determinism.
- According to Hasker, divine foreknowledge means:
God determines everything that will happen in the future.
God knows all things before they will happen
God knows all things timelessly
God knows all things at the present time
- Emergentism states that the mind is produced by the brain and therefore is identical with the brain.
- Which of the following is not a common objection to Materialism?
Materialism has not been successful in eliminating mental properties, which leaves unanswered the question of their origin
There is a legitimate question about whether all human thought can be explained in purely physical terms
Materialism is not compatible with life after death
Materialism is not accepted by most contemporary philosophers.
- On the question of life after death, John Hick proposes a theory that involves total annihilation of the entire person, including the soul, at death.
- Based on his discussion of John Hick’s examples of resurrection, which of the following statements would Hasker NOT agree to?
It must be a person’s exact original body that is resurrected
If total personal annihilation and re-creation are true, the person who is resurrected cannot be identical with the person who died
Materialism is logically incompatible with life after death.
Emergentism is logically incompatible with life after death.
- Which of the following statements is true about philosophical Materialism?
Mental properties do not exist
Materialism is motivated by a desire to have a completely scientific understanding of human nature.
Materialism shares the same weaknesses as Dualism
The mind and the body are not identical, although they interact
- Which view attempts to solve the mind/body problem by appealing to God’s involvement:
- Which of these is an example of an essential property?
The color of a car
A human hand
The roots of a tree
The leaves of a tree
- Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of substances:
Substances are particular things
Substances are necessary and unchanging
Substances are fundamental existants
Substances have causal powers
- According to Dr. Baggett, which of the following best describes libertarian free will:
For every choice I make, I could have chosen otherwise.
Free choice is fulfilling what I want to do.
God does not know what we will freely choose to do.
God determines what we will freely choose to do.
- According to Dr. Baggett, the reason secularists are drawn to compatibilism is that it is consistent with naturalism.
Once you get frustrated and struggling to accomplish your assignment/homework on time, you need online assignment help. Essay Answers understands your needs and provides you with reliable degree-holding specialists to complete your projects at affordable prices.
Essayanswers.org is a professional and outstanding service with
- Support members available online 24/7 ready to assist you;
- Masters/Degree-holding experts in programming, mathematics, etc.;
- Responsible attitude and on-time delivery;
- Pocket-friendly prices that fit into your budget;
- Secure payment methods and 100% confidentiality;
- & even FREE questions and answers service!
We want to satisfy customers with their positive experience received here – at www.essayanswers.org. We are open to communication and happy to assist our clients.