2023 Question 1 According to the reading Abraham was an example of blind faith True False
Biology 2023 PHIL 201 QUIZ 1
- According to the reading, Abraham was an example of blind faith.
- The study of biology would be considered a
- Philosophy is mostly interested in discovering new factual data.
- A statement about what a person ought to do is called:
an indicative claim
a rational claim
a normative claim
a legislative claim
- Which of the following are philosophers concerned about:
the nature of reality
the reason why we believe what we believe
the method we use to discover truth
all of the above
- Our intellectual appetite is a natural desire to know and understand.
- Bertrand Russell thought philosophy was important because:
It is necessary to establish our worldview.
It affects our daily choices.
It rids us of dogmatism and prejudices.
It clarifies our beliefs.
- Adopting the philosophical mindset is more like a job than a vocation.
- By saying worldview is consistent we mean that:
There are no contradictions in the worldview.
The worldview can account for new knowledge.
The beliefs of the worldview mutually support one another.
The worldview has the best explanatory power.
- What should one do if one encounters a new belief that creates inconsistency in a one’s set of beliefs:
Adjust the set to account for the new belief.
Abandon the set of beliefs and create a new one.
Abandon the new belief as it doesn’t fit with the established set.
Go with whatever the strongest evidence points to.
- One finds a general principle in Scripture and then attempts to apply it to an example in current times. The presentation describes this process as:
Ladder of abstraction
- The three elements listed in the reading that fulfill the biblical mandate to develop a Christian philosophical mindset would include one of the following:
sharing the gospel to those with other worldviews
construction of a neutral worldview
refuting philosophies contrary to Christianity
- How does the story in Acts 17 demonstrate the value of reason:
Paul contrasts vain philosophy with philosophy according to Christ.
The Bereans are praised as being noble for their use of reason.
Abraham trusted God for good reasons.
Paul contrasts arguments set against God with thoughts captive to Christ.
- The passage that says we should always be prepared to offer a defense for the hope within us:
I Pet 3:15
II Cor 10:5
I Tim 2:15
- What was Paul doing in Col 2:
Reasoning in the synagogue about the resurrection of Jesus.
Offering final instructions about the administration of the church.
Defending his apostleship.
Addressing a heresy that had invaded the local church.
- By “critical usage” of scripture is meant:
take into account the historical context and literary context.
one should approach scripture with a negative bias against it
only appeal to scripture when no other evidence is available
only appeal to scripture with unbelievers.
- The Bible adequately addresses almost every philosophical issue and question.
- Which of the following was NOT within the guidelines recommended for the “critical use” of scripture in doing philosophy:
recognize the difference between the text and your interpretation of the text.
be open to alternative interpretations of difficult texts
take seriously the historical interpretations of the church
support all your philosophical beliefs with scriptural quotes
- We are having a debate about organ transplants and the lack of available organs. You suggest that organs should be available to those who can pay for them. I argue the rich would buy all the available organs and that wouldn’t be fair to those who can’t afford to pay for organs. Under which branch of philosophy would you place our discussion:
Philosophy of science
Philosophy of medicine
Philosophy of law
- In the presentation we answered the misconception that there are no answers to most philosophical questions by saying:
That is the nature of philosophy.
Actually there are usually many answers.
It’s all relative.
It depends on your perspective.
Once you get frustrated and struggling to accomplish your assignment/homework on time, you need online assignment help. Essay Answers understands your needs and provides you with reliable degree-holding specialists to complete your projects at affordable prices.
Essayanswers.org is a professional and outstanding service with
- Support members available online 24/7 ready to assist you;
- Masters/Degree-holding experts in programming, mathematics, etc.;
- Responsible attitude and on-time delivery;
- Pocket-friendly prices that fit into your budget;
- Secure payment methods and 100% confidentiality;
- & even FREE questions and answers service!
We want to satisfy customers with their positive experience received here – at www.essayanswers.org. We are open to communication and happy to assist our clients.